[SLED] Voice in Second Life

Rolig Loon rloon at hbci.com
Sat Aug 4 14:31:48 PDT 2007

I am slowly making my own personal adjustment to the presence of Voice, and
have finally decided that it is silly for me to add comments that are on
either the pro side or the anti side. And I can actually say that with a
smile.

Dirk's comment this morning ("In a few years nobody except for the old
timers will even understand what this discussion was about.") gave me a
brief moment of déjà vu, and helped bring things into focus.

The advance of Voice is eerily similar to changes I have seen in the way
people take outdoor vacations in the U.S. When I was young, going "camping"
meant getting out a tent and a couple of sleeping bags, hiking into the
woods, and preparing a meal over an open wood fire. It was fun. Over the
past 50 years, "camping" has changed to mean piling a ton of stuff into an
RV, driving to a nice spot in the mountains, and cooking over a propane
cookstove. It's still fun, but it's not "camping" any more.

We brought Real Life into the woods because we had the technology and it
improved our access to the outdoors. It also saved us all the fuss and
bother of pitching a tent, worrying about bears and midnight rainstorms, and
getting smoke in our eyes while burning the pancakes. And Dirk's right,
nobody except for the old timers even understand what I'm talking about when
I remember what it was like to go camping.

So there's my epiphany. I think that maybe I am an old fuddy-duddy after
all. Change isn't good or bad. It's change. Voice is here and we will learn
to live in a SL where it is a fact of life.

Thank you, Dirk. As Scarlet said, "Tomorrow is another day. Fiddle-dee-dee."
;-)

Rolig Loon