[SLED] Voice in Second Life / and Deafness

S Collingwood collingwood.7 at osu.edu
Sat Aug 4 13:19:57 PDT 2007

I don't yet have experience in working with deaf/blind students in
SL, but I am also very interested in learning how to incorporate
methods for these students into my virtual teaching.

I spent last summer away from my home university, and used a computer
lab where it wasn't possible to use headphones.  At first, I thought
it wouldn't make much difference, as SL is such a rich visual medium.
I was really surprised to realize how much sound input we actually do
get from SL.  Even that damned wind.  I became fascinated with the
possibilities of sound, which I still believe is underutilized in
teaching.

I think it is possible to make an environment that is as immersive
for the visually impaired as it is for the sighted, and I'd love to
learn how to do this.  I also think we can make learning systems for
the hearing impaired that will be equally rewarding -- it's just
going to be a lot of work.

There have been a couple of times on this list over the past year or
so when we started a conversation about disability, but it didn't
gather momentum.  So much to do, so little time.  Still, why wait
until we have built something we like, and then have to rethink the
whole thing for the disabled?

Sharon (Ellie Brewster)

Dr. Sharon Collingwood
Department of Women's Studies