[SLED] Re: Live demos & Virtual offices

Sean FitzGerald seanf at tig.com.au
Thu Apr 26 19:54:23 PDT 2007

Chris, I never said we should teach newcomers (I'm thinking I should
stop using "newbies" - it can be a bit patronising) how to create
"whirligigs in the sky that jump and dance and teach chemistry in one
fell swoop". I agree newcomers need too start with the basics in any new
medium and do things that that are familiar and comfortable to them, but
I'm yet to be convinced helping people set up their own space in SL
means setting up a traditional office that mimics real life, or a
traditional lecture theatre or campus (notwithstanding there are some
good reasons for re-creating RL campuses - branding, familiarity for
students, orientation etc), considering all the alternatives.

If this was a year ago I can understand, but hasn't the educational
community in SL learned a lot about how to operate in this unique
environment? There are emerging principles about what works and doesn't
work in SL, and specifically in instructional environments. We know for
example that open structures often work better than closed structures
(because we can fly in SL). Why not model and demonstrate those
principles straight off?

And I do despair at  "instructors who never go beyond placing a syllabus
and a few powerpoint presentations in their campus CMS". But using your
analogy you are recommending showing them only how to do this because it
is familiar to them, rather than showing them all the other interesting
and creative things that can be done with CMSes. I'd rather show the new
possibilities and let them make an informed choice. Many won't take up
the more advanced options, but there are some that will.

Cheers.

Sean

--

Sean FitzGerald
Tel: +61 (0)2 9360 3291
Email: seanf at tig.com.au
Second Life: Sean McDunnough
Website: http://seanfitz.wikispaces.com/
Blog: http://seanfitzgerald.wordpress.com/
SL in Education: http://sleducation.wikispaces.com/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/seanfitzgerald

Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
Then you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes!
-- Unknown