[SLED] Introduction

Steve Taylor sttaylor at vassar.edu
Wed Apr 11 20:28:19 PDT 2007

Hi, I'm Steve Taylor (aka Stan Frangible) and I'm the Academic Computing
Director at Vassar College. We've been developing a site-- I invite you to
visit Vassar Island and look around-- you can even take a bot-guided tour.

I'm anxiously trying to compile a list of actual or theoretical higher
education uses of SL. It seems like there are tons of postings and
articles about  the subject, but I find it very hard to find actual
examples. Has anyone been developing such a compilation? I've looked at
the simteach wiki's list of must-see installations, but there's not a
whole lot there. I've been trying to work my way through this list's
archives and there's a lot of great conversation but, again, citations of
actual educational uses seem rare.

I'd love to see (or work with others to develop) a briefly annotated list
of ways SL can or has been used in various disciplines-- language
learning, drama, sociology, geology, etc. What do you think?