[SLED] Insider versus newcomer?

Kim FLINTOFF kimbo2 at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 5 19:56:59 PDT 2007

One of the purposes of dividing and labelling - some call it categorisation
- is to allow us to delineate - to begin to articulate awareness of
difference and the more we develop an awareness of difference the greater
the chance that we might stumble upon the difference that makes the
difference..  by dividing and labelling we can clarify our processes and
share our knowledge with others - the process of dividing and labelling is
the very basis of language and communication.

Metaphors are useful ways to articulate sensory experience in linguistic (or
other terms) Lakoff's work in this field brings home the impossibility of
trying to engage in the world without metaphor.

Finding effective metaphors helps facilitate share understanding.

It can be said that all communication is metaphor.

Kim Flintoff B.A., Grad. Dip. Ed., M.Ed.
PhD Candidate
QUT Creative Industries: Performance Studies
Sessional Lecturer/Tutor
ECU School of Education and Arts: Contemporary Performance / Drama Education

  _____