[SLED] Teaching research methods in Second Life

Kim Gregson kimatiu at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 08:20:17 PDT 2007

Hi,

I teach our qualitative research methods using SL -
this is the third semester. It's great for interviews
and observations, especially if you're in a small
typical college town where everyone is pretty much
alike (same age, all going to college, all focused on
the same thigns, same musical tastes). The variety of
topics for them to study is amazing. And we've found
they need to brush up on their foreign language skills
sometimes to talk with folks not from the United
States.

I have my students blog about their experiences
(here's the class blog from the first semester -
http://kimsqualresearch.blogspot.com/ - after that we
switched to individual blogs) and I keep a blog too
(http://profkim.blogspot.com) - their blogs are their
research notebooks. I figure since they can do
secondlife anywhere, having their research notes
online would be handy. And their observations are
easily shared too in the class.

We do some exercises in class in secondlife - even tho
we're physically all together - to get htem used to
the process of talking and doing the interviews. I can
deal with technical issues more efficiently that way.
Our school has an island - you get to it from the map,
not search right now - called Park Communication. Feel
free to check it out. If you want to visit a class,
let me know and I'll see when we're going to be in
world next.

I'd love to hear about your plans for your class. Keep
in touch...Kim Gregson (Kim Chihuly in SL)

http://slane.bradley.edu/com/faculty/lamoureux/website2/slstuff.html