[SLED] The Polychronic Classroom (Don't Be Naive, Native, or Immigrant)

Bill Freese iedbf at montana.edu
Mon Apr 2 09:15:54 PDT 2007

Howdy,
Robert Benchly said, "There are two kinds of people in the world,
those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and
those who don't." We draw that line (immigrant / native or
polychronic / monochronic or whatever / antiwhatever) because it
helps us to understand something. But the line is always artificial,
and the people are always multifaceted beings who exist in various
positions on various behavioral spectra. I found the Prensky article
to be enlightening, particularly the idea of digital immigrants
speaking with an accent. I don't think that idea would have worked as
well without the immigrant metaphor. Many people in my generation,
despite being able to remember the first moon walk, speak digital
like a native, and many kids, particularly those from disadvantaged
backgrounds, are still waiting for their digital green cards. (I am
really enjoying that metaphor!) As long as we use the categories we
create to help us explain to each other what we think is going on,
they will be useful. But we must be very careful any time we say of a
person that they are limited because they are in one of those
categories.
Bill Freese / Bill Friis