[SLED] Text Chat vs Voice

Jonathon Richter jrichter at uoregon.edu
Mon Sep 25 20:31:59 PDT 2006

People with disabilities could still use text-to-speech... and
speech-to-text?

I'm interested to see if we can use a 3D version of the NIMAS standards
www.cast.org to make SL accessible to all.

~ Jonathon

On 9/25/06, Gene Koo <gene at anderkoo.com> wrote:

> Again, unscientifically, my own experience:
>
> 1. In There.com I have a female avatar and my own (male) voice. I think
> ppl
> get over it. If I wanted to, I could probably turn on my sound card's SFX
> processor and change my voice. But like voice itself, that reaches into
> the
> user's technical capabilities/hardware/software. Still, it is no small
> consideration that voice suddenly plunges you back into an element of
> real-world realism. In some situations (you want to create an alternate
> universe) this is a drawback; in others, however, it's an advantage to NOT
> force the user to adopt a persona and use all the psychic energy necessary
> to do so.
>
> 2. For the novice, text chat can be difficult, and is especially difficult
> in terms of keeping a conversation focused. Some people are slow typists;
> others are very self-conscious about typos. One also has to process all of
> these different threads flowing around in real time.
>
> In my limited experience in There, if the class is set up as a lecture the
> presenter can speak vocally while others are free to use text chat as a
> public backchannel. This can help segregate the presentation from the
> chatter, though a novice presenter might be just as overwhelmed in this
> setup as when only using text to deliver the presentation. There is also
> no
> reason why you can't use chat or IM in SL to backchannel -- but since it's
> on the same medium, so far it seems to be less prevalent than what I've
> seen
> in There.

Jonathon Richter
Research Associate
Center for Advanced Technology in Education
1244 Walnut Drive, Suite 205A
Eugene, OR 97403 - 2056