[SLED] Museums and Second Life

Rob Rothfarb rrothfarb at exploratorium.edu
Fri Sep 22 19:03:25 PDT 2006

hi Paul,
i've been hit with a bad cold all week, was working from
home most of the week. sorry i missed you.

i got some good info back from my post to the list from
Beth Kanter of Tech Soup.  There's a museum professionals
SL group that just got started, i joined it.  you can
search for museums under group and join too.  i think it's
started by a gentleman from university of illinois.

i'm compiling a document of research i'm gathering about
museum activities in SL.  will share with you early next
week.  i've been thinking it would be good to submit a
proposal for Museums and the Web 2007, taking place in SF
next March and that the Explo is hosting a closing
reception for regarding museum initiatives in SL.  Rather
than focusing only on what the Explo is doing, i thought
it would be good to try to create a dialogue with other
museums and share in that discussion...so a panel
discussion/forum.  We could invite selected museum
professionals to present and we could provide a set of
provocative questions for the dialogue for panelists to
respond to.  Each panelist could show their museums work
via screen or in-world demo.  What do you think?  Of
course i'd want you and Dave to show the 'Splo and
participate.

rob