[SLED] Feedback on new system?

Tim Allen Tim at CROMPCO.com
Fri Sep 22 11:28:36 PDT 2006

Cathy: Very cool idea. Allowing certain locations to restrict by category
might be a good way to do it. That way, you don't have to worry about K-12
students getting questions of poseballs and such (although I'm fairly sure
all questions are PG or less right now). I was fairly well versed in state
standards but changed industries right as No Child Left Behind came into
play (All Children Left Behind? <grin>), so I'm not exactly up to date any
more. The educational portal my company had put together had a standards
tracking system, which was quite nice.

Perhaps breaking it out into an "entertainment" and "educational" version is
in order; I'll think on that!

Aaron: 68,000 questions?! That's amazing. You never really realize how hard
it is to write good trivia questions until you sit down to do it an draw a
blank. I'm in awe!

Regards,

-Tim (FlipperPA)

   _____

From: Cathy Arreguin [mailto:cathy_arreguin at mac.com]
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 1:45 PM
To: SL Educators
Subject: Re: [SLED] Feedback on new system?

That sounds amazing Tim!

On the topic of K-12 students:   Perhaps more specialized versions of the
trivia game might be helpful.  In the U.S., subject matter is spelled out in
individual state standards.  When I'm writing scripts for educational video
for example, I'm working from a spreadsheet indicating standards from
several states showing specific knowledge points that must be covered in
their state standards.  This is the only way my company can hope to sell to
school districts and individual teachers.

Since this application is best suited for the assessment of facts (rather
than concepts, principles, etc.), it might also be useful as a tool teamed
up in an environment that requiring the application of those facts in the
demonstration of learning.

Looking forward to seeing it in action!

Cathy
(mari)