[SLED] SL article in Nature

Robbins, Sarah Brooke sbrobbins at bsu.edu
Thu Sep 14 05:12:27 PDT 2006

Jonathon: The article has me thinking too. I've always thought that social conventions in virtual environments are far more based on the mechanics of the environment rather than social norms carried into the evironment. For example, SL has norms about IMing that wouldn't be there if IM wasn't possible. WOW has conventions about kill stealing that wouldn't be part of the culture if kill stealing wasn't possible. So what mechanics of SL encourage personal space?

Sarah "Intellagirl" Robbins
PhD Student in Rhetoric and Composition
Ball State University, Muncie IN
www.secondlife.intellagirl.com