[SLED] SL article in Nature

Chris Hambly chambly at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 05:13:02 PDT 2006

Jonathan

I have a combat shield, (yes I like going to a role play combat zone now and
then, it's entertaining), and this shield does indeed do exactly as you
suggest, it create an impervious and invisible boundary around my avatar. So
not only will this repel amunition and spells and wizardy it will also repel
avatars in that they cannot get nearer to avatar than about 3 meters.

I often forget this is on my avatar (though you can switch to "highlight
transparency" to see it) and avatars will sometimes get close and simply
remain at the boundary limits (friends ask what's going on, others walk
away). I have to say though that avatars do not get that close very ofen,
and the ones who do are usually newbies or suffering from bad lag and not in
much control.

Audio Zenith