[SLED] RE: Educators Digest, Vol 105, Issue 1

David de Nood david.denood at epn.net
Mon Sep 11 07:59:41 PDT 2006


Hi all,

For EPN, The Hague Netherlands, I conducted a small investigation in SL. The
survey report is now coming to an end but I need some information still. For
instance some of the demographics about the people behind the avies. The
surveyresults show a big group (50%) of 25-40 year olds. I have not been
able though to verify that info with any other reports.

Are there demographic statistics about SL residents (and I do not mean the
data uncovered by last weekends hack :) )? Other data is more then welcome. 

Regards,
David

----------------------------------------------------------
Drs. D. de Nood
EPN programma-manager
Zeestraat 80-82, 2518 AD Den Haag
Postbus 16168, 2500 BD Den Haag
tel. 070 - 427 7622
fax. 070 - 365 0598
URL: www.epn.net
----------------------------------------------------------

EPN is een onafhankelijke stichting met als doel een evenwichtige integratie
te bevorderen van informatie- en communicatietechnologie in de samenleving.
Voorzitter is dr. A.H.G. Rinnooy Kan, vice-voorzitter mr. B.E.M. Wientjes. 

In EPN zijn het bedrijfsleven, de politiek, de overheid, de wetenschap en
het maatschappelijk middenveld vertegenwoordigd. EPN verricht onderzoek,
geeft publicaties uit en organiseert uiteenlopende bijeenkomsten, waaronder
expertmeetings, nieuwsforums, seminars en congressen.


-----Original Message-----
From: educators-bounces at lists.secondlife.com
[mailto:educators-bounces at lists.secondlife.com] On Behalf Of
educators-request at lists.secondlife.com
Sent: Saturday, September 09, 2006 9:00 PM
To: educators at lists.secondlife.com
Subject: Educators Digest, Vol 105, Issue 1

Send Educators mailing list submissions to
	educators at lists.secondlife.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	educators-request at lists.secondlife.com

You can reach the person managing the list at
	educators-owner at lists.secondlife.com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Educators digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. urgent security announcement (Pathfinder Linden)
   2. RE: urgent security announcement (Tim Allen)
   3. Re: In-person gathering 9/21 (Janet McCann)
   4. Re: urgent security announcement (Gary Hayes)
   5. Re: Copyright question (Alan Levine)
   6. Re: urgent security announcement (Hiro Pendragon)
   7. Re: urgent security announcement (Chris Hambly)
   8. Re: urgent security announcement (Robin Harper)
   9. Re: urgent security announcement (Jeff Hiles)
  10. Re: urgent security announcement (Chris Hambly)
  11. Re: urgent security announcement (Robin Harper)
  12. Re: In-person gathering 9/21 (Bryan Zug)
  13. Re: urgent security announcement (Giulio Prisco)
  14. Re: urgent security announcement (Chris Hambly)
  15. Re: urgent security announcement (Hiro Pendragon)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:36:23 -0400
From: "Pathfinder Linden" <pathfinder at lindenlab.com>
Subject: [SLED] urgent security announcement
To: "Educators Mailing List" <educators at lists.secondlife.com>
Message-ID:
	<ea2475240609081336v6fd30514t4b65d4dca40a4d94 at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Greetings,

We have an Urgent Security Announcement on our official blog:

http://blog.secondlife.com

Some of you have purchased manually created accounts for yourselves
and students that may not have a security question in place.  I will
be directly contacting those of you in this situation to resolve this
and confirm your identity.

If you have a regular Second Life account and cannot remember your
security question response or no longer have access to your account's
email address, please wait until Monday Sept 11 and telephone support.
 We're sorry, but we cannot reset passwords over the telephone at this
time.

We'll be updating our blog with more information about this overall
situation.  Please keep an eye on it to stay informed of any further
developments.

We apologize for this inconvenience.  Our primary concern is the
security of everyone's account, so thank you for your patience as we
work towards this goal.

Take care,
-Pathfinder


-- 
John Lester
Community and Education Manager, Linden Lab
http://pathfinderlinden.com

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
-Miguel de Cervantes


------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:42:22 -0400 
From: Tim Allen <Tim at CROMPCO.com>
Subject: RE: [SLED] urgent security announcement
To: SL Educators <educators at lists.secondlife.com>
Message-ID:
	<DABEFE52B81B454F9E38DA860B9C9E8901885DB9 at websrv.crompco.net>
Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="windows-1250"

Just to follow up:

Please be very patient when going through the reset process - the servers
are getting slammed! Hitting reset will only slow it down for everyone,
unless the page truly times out (IE: Server can not be found). It takes
about 60 seconds for each sequence of the page to load, so expect an overall
process of about 10 minutes to reset (including waiting for the email and
such).

I applaud LL in their honesty about this, I've had companies try to
"cover-up" before and that's the worst for everyone. Exploits happen, and
seeing as how LL has taken the honest route, and safest route by just
resetting passwords, is encourage (although yes, it's a pain in the butt).

Regards,

-Tim / Flip 

-----Original Message-----
From: Pathfinder Linden [mailto:pathfinder at lindenlab.com] 
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 4:36 PM
To: Educators Mailing List
Subject: [SLED] urgent security announcement

Greetings,

We have an Urgent Security Announcement on our official blog:

http://blog.secondlife.com

Some of you have purchased manually created accounts for yourselves and
students that may not have a security question in place.  I will be directly
contacting those of you in this situation to resolve this and confirm your
identity.

If you have a regular Second Life account and cannot remember your security
question response or no longer have access to your account's email address,
please wait until Monday Sept 11 and telephone support.
 We're sorry, but we cannot reset passwords over the telephone at this time.

We'll be updating our blog with more information about this overall
situation.  Please keep an eye on it to stay informed of any further
developments.

We apologize for this inconvenience.  Our primary concern is the security of
everyone's account, so thank you for your patience as we work towards this
goal.

Take care,
-Pathfinder


--
John Lester
Community and Education Manager, Linden Lab http://pathfinderlinden.com

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
-Miguel de Cervantes
_______________________________________________
Educators mailing list
To unsubscribe
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators

--
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.12.2/441 - Release Date: 9/7/2006
 

-- 
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.12.2/441 - Release Date: 9/7/2006
 


------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 19:54:22 -0700
From: "Janet McCann" <mccann.janet at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SLED] In-person gathering 9/21
To: "SL Educators" <educators at lists.secondlife.com>
Message-ID:
	<cf3cdebd0609081954h799a78adoe5cbda79d8e53acc at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Thanks so much for letting us all know.  I'll be there.  From reading the
information on the link thre's no need to register in any way if we're
joinint remotely right?

On 9/7/06, Jeremy Kemp <jkemp at cemail.sjsu.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello there,
>
> Would you like to meet in person at 10:45am, 9/21/06 on the Apple campus
> in
> Cupertino, CA? Linden's new VP Joe Miller is speaking at an eLearning
> Forum
> event. See: http://tinyurl.com/zdksc
>
> We can gather to say hello for 15 minutes during the mid-morning break at
> the Infinity Loop 4 Conference Room near the coffee. I'll have a gray
> Second
> Life t-shirt on and look like this: http://tinyurl.com/kgxk3
>
> Miller has some solid ed-tech experience:
> http://lindenlab.com/press/releases/05_08_06
>
> I only wonder if this signals a new ed emphasis at SL and what this means
> for our community and for LL. Apple is the perfect place to kick off
> edtech
> initiatives.
>
> What exciting times! :-)
>
> --Jeremy
> www.simteach.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> Educators mailing list
> To unsubscribe
> https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/educators/attachments/20060908/11ce0ee
a/attachment.html

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 13:20:10 +1000
From: Gary Hayes <mail at garyhayes.tv>
Subject: Re: [SLED] urgent security announcement
To: SL Educators <educators at lists.secondlife.com>
Message-ID: <D2F7D0A8-D98D-45C1-B196-04A6F2F349FE at garyhayes.tv>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; delsp=yes; format=flowed

Hi Pathfinder,

I realise the gravity of the issue and this mail is not meant to  
overlook that BUT Is there any way that edu projects can be protected  
from exploit and attacks like this? FIrstly I am having to reset my  
operational 3 alts, 15 students avies and help another 20+ with their  
accounts! Many have forgotten or didn't use a security question - my  
main avie actually comes up with no security question on file, so  
that means no classes on Monday here in Sydney ;-( Cant there be an  
enterprise version of SL - heavily secure, local server  
authentication for orgs of 40 avies or more, updates on one local  
server instance pushed from LL etc etc:

I was running a 3 day class on machinima last week (after a previous  
2 day design class) and just at the point the four pro  
cinematographers and 3 editors were about to capture the pre-planned  
main sequence (principal photography), bang, security shut down...ok  
only an hour but we lost two and from that point no one really took  
SL seriously as a useful tool. Shame. Even though we did produce some  
great work in the end, the feedback was that it was unreliable and  
only really usuable for ad hoc storyboarding, mostly because of the  
feeling they are not in control of the environment - it is social  
software. Amazing how those used to stable software dont realise  
(like I do) the amazing affordances of being in collaborative shared  
spaces, they compare it with $50 000 cameras and avid/final cut  
stability? Next generation of games/digital film students then!

Finally Second Life is all about money. All the press, radio/tv, all  
about the virtual economy. These exploits and hacks are just going to  
increase in proportion to this media coverage and the daily spend -  
there are folk who are far more proficient at hacking-in than anyone  
employed is capable of blocking out (no flames please). I think we  
may have just seen the beginning of this and sadly if we look at  
other examples across the internet industry LL may spend 60%+ of  
their time from now on gate-keeping.

SL perhaps is best for those doing social education, studying new  
forms of interaction/identity and individual creativity but as a  
collaborative creative tool until there is stability or walled garden  
areas we can use I for one will be ramping down activities. I am not  
whining totally things improved for us immensely with the two weekly  
updates and things started to improve quickly, one can dream of  
updates twice a year, no ad hoc shutdowns because a 15 year old in  
Eastern Europe managed to run a server-side trawl script (metaphor! -  
I know nothing!), no griefing from newbies on our dedicated island  
(which we try to keep open) in the middle of productions and classes  
and better in-built creative tools rather than endless bespoke  
scripting and class trips to the camera stores...well perhaps I need  
a couple of weeks break from SL, that 15 year old has given me a good  
excuse...;-)

Best Gary



On 09/09/2006, at 6:36 AM, Pathfinder Linden wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> We have an Urgent Security Announcement on our official blog:
>
> http://blog.secondlife.com
>
> Some of you have purchased manually created accounts for yourselves
> and students that may not have a security question in place.  I will
> be directly contacting those of you in this situation to resolve this
> and confirm your identity.
>
> If you have a regular Second Life account and cannot remember your
> security question response or no longer have access to your account's
> email address, please wait until Monday Sept 11 and telephone support.
> We're sorry, but we cannot reset passwords over the telephone at this
> time.
>
> We'll be updating our blog with more information about this overall
> situation.  Please keep an eye on it to stay informed of any further
> developments.
>
> We apologize for this inconvenience.  Our primary concern is the
> security of everyone's account, so thank you for your patience as we
> work towards this goal.
>
> Take care,
> -Pathfinder
>
>
> -- 
> John Lester
> Community and Education Manager, Linden Lab
> http://pathfinderlinden.com
>
> "In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
> -Miguel de Cervantes
> _______________________________________________
> Educators mailing list
> To unsubscribe
> https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators

---------------------------------------------------
GARY HAYES
TITLE Director - Laboratory for Advanced Media Production (LAMP)
WEB www.lamp.edu.au
EMAIL Gary.Hayes at aftrs.edu.au
LANDLINE DAY +61 (2) 9805 6544
AUSTRALIA MOBILE +61 0404 797 104
ADDRESS: Australian Film TV and Radio School PO Box 126, Sydney 1670,  
Australia
AFTRS values Creativity, Courage, Diversity, Respect

PERSONAL
EMAIL  mail at garyhayes.tv, gary at korkyt.net
gary at cubrisound.com, gary at personalizemedia.com
HOME TEL AUSTRALIA +61 (2) 9868 7891
SKYPE cubrig31
BLOG www.personalizemedia.com
WEB www.garyhayes.tv
USA CELL +1 310 259 5763
UK MOBILE +44 0795 813 8632
----------------------------------------------------




------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 23:58:03 -0400
From: Alan Levine <alan at nmc.org>
Subject: Re: [SLED] Copyright question
To: educators at lists.secondlife.com
Message-ID: <577F95FF-67A0-4D34-B1E5-6B1FEB222490 at nmc.org>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

  You'd likely have a lot less confusion just by asking. I seriously  
doubt we (NMC) will have any issue with a screen shot of a building--  
especially since we have a boatload of photos CC licensed on flickr  
(http://flickr.com/photos/nmc-campus/). Write me offline and we can  
get you a pronto definite answer.

I find it harder stretch to think Linden's terms of service has some  
claim-- that means every magazine article published, every YouTube  
video, every flickr photo is ripe for litigating??  NMC (which is not  
a corporation) paid for our lsland with grant money, and paid sub- 
contractors to build out buildings.

But heck, just ask, and focus on your writing!

On Sep 7, 2006, at 3:00 PM, educators-request at lists.secondlife.com  
wrote:

> From: Jeremy Hunsinger <jhuns at vt.edu>
> Date: September 7, 2006 11:29:46 AM EDT
> To: SL Educators <educators at lists.secondlife.com>
> Subject: Re: [SLED] Copyright question
> Reply-To: SL Educators <educators at lists.secondlife.com>
>
>
> I'd run it by a respected copyright lawyer that is aware of the  
> terms of service for SL.  In general terms for academic publishing,  
> screenshots are probably going to fall under fair use guidelines,  
> but fair use has a test and your book might fail that.   However, i  
> don't think the NMC corporation which is Not for profit, will  
> really have much of a claim, but i too am not a lawyer and make no  
> claims beyond i have read http://fairuse.stanford.edu/ and think  
> that I 'get it'.
>

------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Levine
Director, Member and Technology Resources

------------------------------------------------------------
NMC: The New Media Consortium
sparking innovative learning and creativity

2499 S, Capital of Texas Highway
Bldg. A, Suite 202
Austin, TX  78746
(512) 445-4200
(512) 445-4205 fax
http://www.nmc.org

NMC Campus Observer - What's going on at our place in Second Life:
http://www.nmc.org/sl/

Recent NMC events:
* 2006 NMC Summer Conference- June 7-10, 2006, Cleveland, hosted by  
Case Western Reserve University. Look for conference materials posted  
at http://www.nmc.org/events/2006summerconf/

Upcoming NMC events:
* 2006 NMC Regional Conference - November 8-10, 2006 San Antonio,  
Texas, hosted by Trinity University

For a comprehensive listing of NMC events, see http://www.nmc.org/events



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/educators/attachments/20060908/39520c9
1/attachment-0001.htm

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 00:37:52 -0400
From: "Hiro Pendragon" <hiro.pendragon at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SLED] urgent security announcement
To: "SL Educators" <educators at lists.secondlife.com>,	"Pathfinder
	Linden" <pathfinder at lindenlab.com>
Message-ID:
	<b2f7886d0609082137t6dcba55fr6057fcf12090107 at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

I'm in the same boat, and as a full-time professional SL developer,
I'm being told that they may have something up "Monday".

Pathfinder, I'd like to know why we need this secondary question, and
we can't also do it by mailing it to our registered email address,
like thousands of other registration-based websites?

-Ron Blechner
Infinite Vision Media
Out of Bounds Software

On 9/8/06, Gary Hayes <mail at garyhayes.tv> wrote:
> Hi Pathfinder,

> Many have forgotten or didn't use a security question


------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 05:39:54 +0100
From: "Chris Hambly" <chambly at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SLED] urgent security announcement
To: "SL Educators" <educators at lists.secondlife.com>
Message-ID:
	<b2ee84ef0609082139n11c067c8g34082b8f2ae2d929 at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Me too.....

Pathfinder was kind enough to reply (thanks dude) but it is yet another nail
in the coffin for me...   monday, I mean monday for 150 bucks a month, tis a
joke lads!

Audio

On 9/9/06, Hiro Pendragon <hiro.pendragon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm in the same boat, and as a full-time professional SL developer,
> I'm being told that they may have something up "Monday".
>
> Pathfinder, I'd like to know why we need this secondary question, and
> we can't also do it by mailing it to our registered email address,
> like thousands of other registration-based websites?
>
> -Ron Blechner
> Infinite Vision Media
> Out of Bounds Software
>
> On 9/8/06, Gary Hayes <mail at garyhayes.tv> wrote:
> > Hi Pathfinder,
>
> > Many have forgotten or didn't use a security question
> _______________________________________________
> Educators mailing list
> To unsubscribe
> https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/educators/attachments/20060909/d02e7d4
b/attachment-0001.htm

------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 22:12:58 -0700
From: Robin Harper <robin at lindenlab.com>
Subject: Re: [SLED] urgent security announcement
To: SL Educators <educators at lists.secondlife.com>
Message-ID: <4B77DCAF-5668-4D3E-B8B2-1B9BD5E4EBCB at lindenlab.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Our web team is working tonight to deploy a web-based way for you to  
validate your account and reset your password without the security  
question.  As soon as it's ready I'll make an announcement.  In the  
meantime, in case you didn't see it, we've sent out the following FAQ  
to all SL Residents.

===================
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q: I can't log in to Second Life. How can I regain login access?

A: As a security precaution, all Second Life account passwords have  
been invalidated. You need to establish a new password in order to  
log in. You can receive instructions for changing your password by  
visiting http://secondlife.com/password. Please note that we are  
updating the password request process - if you have recently tried  
that page and could not change your password, please try again.


Q: Was my account information compromised?

A: We discovered that a database was accessed by the intruder, and we  
are able to determine the aggregate size of the data that was  
downloaded through the intrusion. The database accessed includes  
customer account information, including Second Life account names,  
real-life name and contact information in unencrypted form. Account  
passwords and payment information (consisting of credit card numbers  
and Paypal transaction IDs) are stored in this same database in  
encrypted form. However, there is no way to identify which data were  
accessed at the level of individual users, only the aggregate size of  
the downloads returned from the intruding database queries. We are  
conducting further investigation to try to determine the class of  
data exposed.


Q. Is my information still at risk from another attacker?

A: The compromised system was rebuilt and made more secure. We will  
be announcing additional plans for security improvements in a post to  
come on our blog, at http://blog.secondlife.com/?tag=security.


Q: Should I be concerned that encrypted password and encrypted  
payment information may have been exposed? Is the encryption  
unbreakable?

A: We use an MD-5 hash (scramble function) and salt (additional data)  
to encode passwords and payment information, an industry standard  
technique that is commonly regarded as difficult to defeat. However,  
no hash or encryption is unbreakable, given enough time and computing  
power. If you believe that you may be the victim of credit card  
fraud, you should contact your credit card company. If you use your  
Second Life password on other websites, online services, or any other  
services, you should change the password on that service as well. You  
can find additional tips for protection of your identity online at  
http://www.privacy.ca.gov/sheets/cis1english.htm.


Q: What kind of attack was used to gain access to the Second Life  
databases? Has the identity of the attacker been established?

A: We have gathered a significant amount of information regarding the  
attack and the attacker. However, because the investigation is  
ongoing, we cannot provide very detailed information regarding the  
type of attack or identity of the attacker. We can disclose that the  
intrusion path took advantage of a "zero-day exploit" in third-party  
web software.


Q: What was the timing of the attack and Linden Lab's investigation?

A: Our forensic investigation began on September 6, 2006. Based on  
this investigation, the intrusion attempts may have started as early  
as September 3, 2006. However, we have not found evidence of  
successful database access occurring before September 5, 2006. On  
September 6, 2006, unusual activity in our database logs revealed the  
attack to Linden Lab, and we investigated, found and closed the  
intrusion on the same day. At that point, there was no evidence that  
databases containing customer identity information had been  
compromised. For the following two days, the focus of our  
investigation was to determine the extent of the database access and  
the nature of the data downloaded from our system. On September 8,  
2006, we concluded that there was a substantial likelihood that  
customer account information could have been accessed. The  
investigation is ongoing and we will report further results as they  
become available at http://blog.secondlife.com/?tag=security.
On Sep 8, 2006, at 9:39 PM, Chris Hambly wrote:

> Me too.....
>
> Pathfinder was kind enough to reply (thanks dude) but it is yet  
> another nail in the coffin for me...   monday, I mean monday for  
> 150 bucks a month, tis a joke lads!
>
> Audio
>
> On 9/9/06, Hiro Pendragon <hiro.pendragon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm in the same boat, and as a full-time professional SL developer,
> I'm being told that they may have something up "Monday".
>
> Pathfinder, I'd like to know why we need this secondary question, and
> we can't also do it by mailing it to our registered email address,
> like thousands of other registration-based websites?
>
> -Ron Blechner
> Infinite Vision Media
> Out of Bounds Software
>
> On 9/8/06, Gary Hayes <mail at garyhayes.tv> wrote:
> > Hi Pathfinder,
>
> > Many have forgotten or didn't use a security question
> _______________________________________________
> Educators mailing list
> To unsubscribe
> https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
>
> _______________________________________________
> Educators mailing list
> To unsubscribe
> https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/educators/attachments/20060908/1fbf74c
9/attachment-0001.htm

------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 01:36:23 -0400
From: Jeff Hiles <jeffrey.hiles at wright.edu>
Subject: Re: [SLED] urgent security announcement
To: SL Educators <educators at lists.secondlife.com>
Message-ID: <C127CB17.61B4%jeffrey.hiles at wright.edu>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"

On 9/9/06 12:37 AM, "Hiro Pendragon" <hiro.pendragon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm being told that they may have something up "Monday".

I don't understand what you mean by "have something up."

SL is up now, and was when I checked in Friday, around 2 p.m. SL time.

What is this "something" you are waiting for on Monday?

Jeff/Farley



------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 06:39:00 +0100
From: "Chris Hambly" <chambly at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SLED] urgent security announcement
To: "SL Educators" <educators at lists.secondlife.com>
Message-ID:
	<b2ee84ef0609082239h514ffa4fs97f0ef26a7c0160d at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Jeff some of us cannot log in due to not being able to reset our
passwords....  Robin here has kindly proposed a short cut for us.. and I
thank him for his attention on this matter.



On 9/9/06, Jeff Hiles <jeffrey.hiles at wright.edu> wrote:
>
> On 9/9/06 12:37 AM, "Hiro Pendragon" <hiro.pendragon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm being told that they may have something up "Monday".
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "have something up."
>
> SL is up now, and was when I checked in Friday, around 2 p.m. SL time.
>
> What is this "something" you are waiting for on Monday?
>
> Jeff/Farley
>
> _______________________________________________
> Educators mailing list
> To unsubscribe
> https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/educators/attachments/20060909/4715b4e
c/attachment-0001.htm

------------------------------

Message: 11
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 07:22:48 -0700
From: Robin Harper <robin at lindenlab.com>
Subject: Re: [SLED] urgent security announcement
To: SL Educators <educators at lists.secondlife.com>
Message-ID: <8259CAC3-6E01-421D-8973-6B2E3A2E9CCB at lindenlab.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Hi everyone,

Last last night the web team added additional options for people to  
verify their accounts on the website, so you don't have to wait until  
Monday to call-in.  Hopefully you'll be able to reset your passwords  
this weekend, even if you can't remember or never had a security  
question.  For more information, please check out the Linden blog at  
http://blog.secondlife.com.

Best,
Robin


On Sep 8, 2006, at 10:39 PM, Chris Hambly wrote:

> Jeff some of us cannot log in due to not being able to reset our  
> passwords....  Robin here has kindly proposed a short cut for us..  
> and I thank him for his attention on this matter.
>
>
>
> On 9/9/06, Jeff Hiles <jeffrey.hiles at wright.edu> wrote:
> On 9/9/06 12:37 AM, "Hiro Pendragon" <hiro.pendragon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm being told that they may have something up "Monday".
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "have something up."
>
> SL is up now, and was when I checked in Friday, around 2 p.m. SL time.
>
> What is this "something" you are waiting for on Monday?
>
> Jeff/Farley
>
> _______________________________________________
> Educators mailing list
> To unsubscribe
> https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
>
> _______________________________________________
> Educators mailing list
> To unsubscribe
> https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/educators/attachments/20060909/65147c4
4/attachment-0001.htm

------------------------------

Message: 12
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 08:24:39 -0700
From: "Bryan Zug" <bryanzug at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SLED] In-person gathering 9/21
To: "SL Educators" <educators at lists.secondlife.com>
Message-ID:
	<b2bb77270609090824q31f1a833m9a0167d47f46ac5f at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

>>
>From reading the information on the link thre's no need to register in any
way if we're joinint remotely right?
>>

I think that's correct. It's reg $35 fee if you are going to be onsite.

-- 
Bryan Zug
eLearning Systems Technical Developer
Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford
Email: bryanzug at gmail.com
Phone: (425) 442-3300 m  -  (425) 687-7852 h
Tech Blog: elearningskinny.com

"The comedy of man survives the tragedy of man."
-  G.K. Chesterton, 'All Things Considered'
-  Illustrated London News, Feb. 10, 1906
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/educators/attachments/20060909/7cf965f
f/attachment-0001.htm

------------------------------

Message: 13
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 17:41:06 +0200
From: "Giulio Prisco" <gp at uvvy.com>
Subject: Re: [SLED] urgent security announcement
To: "SL Educators" <educators at lists.secondlife.com>
Message-ID:
	<e68fc1100609090841y53b0f948qc12729fceecd2c17 at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

I could update the password of my main avatar and one alt. Now I try
to update the password of another alt and my wife's only avatar, but I
just don't get any email from the server. I assume it has just too
many emails to send. Do you advice to keep sending the request, or
waiting for the email?
This was a very messy thing and I am sure many users will permanently
lose their avatar, but I wish to thank LL for being honest and
upfront. Other companies would have tried to sweep this under the
carpet.
G.

On 9/9/06, Robin Harper <robin at lindenlab.com> wrote:
>
>
> Hi everyone,
>
>
> Last last night the web team added additional options for people to verify
their accounts on the website, so you don't have to wait until Monday to
call-in.  Hopefully you'll be able to reset your passwords this weekend,
even if you can't remember or never had a security question.  For more
information, please check out the Linden blog at http://blog.secondlife.com.
>
>
> Best,
>
> Robin
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Sep 8, 2006, at 10:39 PM, Chris Hambly wrote:
>
>
>
> Jeff some of us cannot log in due to not being able to reset our
passwords....  Robin here has kindly proposed a short cut for us.. and I
thank him for his attention on this matter.
>
>
>
>
>  On 9/9/06, Jeff Hiles <jeffrey.hiles at wright.edu> wrote:
> >  On 9/9/06 12:37 AM, "Hiro Pendragon" <hiro.pendragon at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm being told that they may have something up "Monday".
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean by "have something up."
> >
> > SL is up now, and was when I checked in Friday, around 2 p.m. SL time.
> >
> > What is this "something" you are waiting for on Monday?
> >
> > Jeff/Farley


------------------------------

Message: 14
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 19:10:05 +0100
From: "Chris Hambly" <chambly at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SLED] urgent security announcement
To: "SL Educators" <educators at lists.secondlife.com>
Message-ID:
	<b2ee84ef0609091110k1ba54b74i778e255c4ab7edcd at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Robin

Now that was an excellent response so I wish to pat you all on the back. You
responded to the predicament in a professional and urgent manner allowing
your customers to carry on about their business and not loose too much
revenue. I can now hold my sunday classes without interruption.

Well done, one nail taken back out of the coffin.

Audio

On 9/9/06, Giulio Prisco <gp at uvvy.com> wrote:
>
> I could update the password of my main avatar and one alt. Now I try
> to update the password of another alt and my wife's only avatar, but I
> just don't get any email from the server. I assume it has just too
> many emails to send. Do you advice to keep sending the request, or
> waiting for the email?
> This was a very messy thing and I am sure many users will permanently
> lose their avatar, but I wish to thank LL for being honest and
> upfront. Other companies would have tried to sweep this under the
> carpet.
> G.
>
> On 9/9/06, Robin Harper <robin at lindenlab.com> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> >
> > Last last night the web team added additional options for people to
> verify their accounts on the website, so you don't have to wait until
Monday
> to call-in.  Hopefully you'll be able to reset your passwords this
weekend,
> even if you can't remember or never had a security question.  For more
> information, please check out the Linden blog at
> http://blog.secondlife.com.
> >
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Robin
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > On Sep 8, 2006, at 10:39 PM, Chris Hambly wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > Jeff some of us cannot log in due to not being able to reset our
> passwords....  Robin here has kindly proposed a short cut for us.. and I
> thank him for his attention on this matter.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >  On 9/9/06, Jeff Hiles <jeffrey.hiles at wright.edu> wrote:
> > >  On 9/9/06 12:37 AM, "Hiro Pendragon" <hiro.pendragon at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > > I'm being told that they may have something up "Monday".
> > >
> > > I don't understand what you mean by "have something up."
> > >
> > > SL is up now, and was when I checked in Friday, around 2 p.m. SL time.
> > >
> > > What is this "something" you are waiting for on Monday?
> > >
> > > Jeff/Farley
> _______________________________________________
> Educators mailing list
> To unsubscribe
> https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/educators/attachments/20060909/35db9dc
b/attachment-0001.htm

------------------------------

Message: 15
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 14:50:56 -0400
From: "Hiro Pendragon" <hiro.pendragon at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SLED] urgent security announcement
To: "SL Educators" <educators at lists.secondlife.com>
Message-ID:
	<b2f7886d0609091150teb075a2jd6df6b0bd454d7c4 at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

I wanted to second this notion - Linden Lab managed to add this within
24 hours of complaints, on the weekend. Since I joined SL in 2004, SL
has always provided excellent customer support, and this is another
shining example.

Thank you so much Robin and your team!

Ron Blechner
Partner, InfiniteVisionMedia.com
CEO, Out of Bounds Software

On 9/9/06, Chris Hambly <chambly at gmail.com> wrote:
> Robin
>
> Now that was an excellent response so I wish to pat you all on the back.
You
> responded to the predicament in a professional and urgent manner allowing
> your customers to carry on about their business and not loose too much
> revenue. I can now hold my sunday classes without interruption.
>
> Well done, one nail taken back out of the coffin.
>
> Audio
>
>
> On 9/9/06, Giulio Prisco <gp at uvvy.com> wrote:
> > I could update the password of my main avatar and one alt. Now I try
> > to update the password of another alt and my wife's only avatar, but I
> > just don't get any email from the server. I assume it has just too
> > many emails to send. Do you advice to keep sending the request, or
> > waiting for the email?
> > This was a very messy thing and I am sure many users will permanently
> > lose their avatar, but I wish to thank LL for being honest and
> > upfront. Other companies would have tried to sweep this under the
> > carpet.
> > G.
> >
> > On 9/9/06, Robin Harper < robin at lindenlab.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > >
> > > Last last night the web team added additional options for people to
> verify their accounts on the website, so you don't have to wait until
Monday
> to call-in.  Hopefully you'll be able to reset your passwords this
weekend,
> even if you can't remember or never had a security question.  For more
> information, please check out the Linden blog at
http://blog.secondlife.com.
> > >
> > >
> > > Best,
> > >
> > > Robin
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On Sep 8, 2006, at 10:39 PM, Chris Hambly wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Jeff some of us cannot log in due to not being able to reset our
> passwords....  Robin here has kindly proposed a short cut for us.. and I
> thank him for his attention on this matter.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >  On 9/9/06, Jeff Hiles <jeffrey.hiles at wright.edu> wrote:
> > > >  On 9/9/06 12:37 AM, "Hiro Pendragon" < hiro.pendragon at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > I'm being told that they may have something up "Monday".
> > > >
> > > > I don't understand what you mean by "have something up."
> > > >
> > > > SL is up now, and was when I checked in Friday, around 2 p.m. SL
time.
> > > >
> > > > What is this "something" you are waiting for on Monday?
> > > >
> > > > Jeff/Farley
> > _______________________________________________
> > Educators mailing list
> > To unsubscribe
> >
> https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
> >
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Educators mailing list
> To unsubscribe
> https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators
>
>
>


------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Educators mailing list
Educators at lists.secondlife.com
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators

End of Educators Digest, Vol 105, Issue 1
*****************************************

-- 
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.7/437 - Release Date: 9/4/2006
 

-- 
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.7/437 - Release Date: 9/4/2006
 



More information about the Educators mailing list