[SLED] You are invited to Harvard CyberOne

Ansible Berkman ansible.berkman at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 11:45:24 PDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I'd like to extend an invitation to everyone on this list to participate or
stay informed about our fall, open-access class: CyberOne -- Law in the
Court of Public Opinion. This course, taugh at Harvard Law School by
Professor Charles Nesson, is offered in conjuction with the Harvard
Extension School, and is open to anyone on the Internet to access class
materials. For those of you who missed the first issue of Picayune, here is
a little description of the class and ways to reach us.

The subject matter of the course is the creation and delivery of persuasive
argument in the new integrated media space constituted by the Internet
andother new technologies. Our premise is that "First World"
and corporate domination of entertainment media, laws, and news can be
balanced by the voices of individuals, groups and universities who use new
media intelligently. We challenge students to attempt this themselves by
choosing an issue of concern to them and using the media we study to make
their case for change in the court of public opinion. Our course trailer is
a lot of fun, we think, and might be able to shed more light on course goals
and organization http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cyberone/videos/CyberOne.mp4
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cyberone/videos/CyberOne.mp4>
Please visit our course site and keep checking back for updates on the
instructor blogs throughout the semester,  http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/
cyberone/

We plan on engaging the participation of our Internet users at large through
our course wiki and blogs (where people can comment, participate with
information, and interact with students and instructors, as time allows).
However, for people who express interest in participating from Second Life,
I will also organize a kick-off meeting, where we can meet each other and
hopefully self-organize to keep on top of lecture material and class
discussions. I will probably facilitate the first meeting and hope to have
some regularly scheduled events for the SL community. If you have other
ideas about how we can improve the participatory experience, please let me
know.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or wish to be involved. I
will post here and in the SL events at the end of next week in regards to
the first meeting of SL residents curious about our class. This should be
quite an exciting experience!

-Rodica Buzescu/Ansible Berkman
Teaching Assistant/SL Coordinator
ansible.berkman at gmail.com