[SLED] Disaster reenactors? J-School uses for SL?

Jonathon Richter jrichter at uoregon.edu
Thu Sep 7 09:31:02 PDT 2006

That's a great idea, Jeremy!

Journalists could use their toolbox of simulated SL objects, relevant
to the kind of beat they have (and the geography) - and put together
a model of events (and trends) in the news.

I think that it would have been better for a number of reasons if
they would have, for example, put together the 911 tragedy in SL and
made a machinimatic episode that they could've played on the news,
rather than the actual thing, over and over. Watching the sim version
of a real life event may cushion some of the shock and awe (bad
choice of words, sorry) that comes from something so huge and
terrible that the human mind has trouble gripping it.

We must, in the end, come to terms with the possibilities that exist
in our world - else we may not determine what is preferable.

~ Jonathon

SL: WainBrave Bernal

Jonathon Richter, Ed.D.
Research Associate
The University of Oregon
Center for Advanced Technology in Education
205C Rainier Building
1244 Walnut Street
Eugene, OR  97403-2056

541.346.1630
jrichter at uoregon.edu

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.

~ Thomas Jefferson