[SLED] What names to use when blogging?

Tiffani Chin tiffani at edboost.org
Fri Oct 27 09:07:13 PDT 2006

Hi Everyone,

(Sorry for the double post if you're on the ED and the ED&Teen lists!)

I'm new here -- and pretty new to SL and TSL.  I run an afterschool program
in L.A. and one of my students asked if I knew someone who could teach him
to "script" in SL.  One thing led to another and a colleague (who knows far
more about computer programming than I do!)and I are getting set up on an
educator's island.  We're hoping we can teach programming skills to the
kids who are interested and also pull some other kids into programming by
using all of the cool graphics and features in SL.

Claudia Linden asked us to do a blog  (http://edboostisland.blogspot.com/)
about the experience -- and we're hoping we can get the kids to do a fair
amount of posting.

My question for you all:  any thoughts on whether the kids should use real
names or their avatar names?  I keep going back and forth.  It seems like
they should NOT use both -- since that would allow people to figure out who
they are online... but what's preferred for the blog?

In some ways, it's a moot point -- the kids will be restricted to the
island so other adults won't have access to them.  But I've been reading on
this list about field trips and other kinds of fun outings and then I start
to worry a bit more.

Anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks and thanks for all of the great information you post!

best,
tiffani