[SLED] Multiverse: The Next Big Thing

Ramesh Ramloll r.ramloll at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 12:27:20 PDT 2006

I dont seem to get my head around the multiverse concept that the netscape
founders are pushing. One thing I dont understand Giulio is what is the
benefit of linking totally decoupled games? How does one move from 'Rabid
shoot them up game' to a 'Volley ball game with beautiful players'
seamlessly? What happens at the level of avatar representation? What happens
to the identity of the player, is it maintained..through the
transition..what exists in the space between those disjoint games (if there
is any)? What happens if one of those cute little animals in a Mickey mouse
game get teleported  and end up in a Quake style shoot them up? Seems to me
that the multiverse as it stands, is really just a developers shortcut to
multiuser games, that are designed to exist in isolation of each other. So
in that respect, I am thinking what do we gain by doing this. How is this
different from me quitting one game, and restarting another? SL is very very
different from multiverse in a fundamental way. It provides a platform in
which you live in to collaborate with peers and can produce games. Major
distinction. If you want to have an isolated game within in SL, so be it,
but u are not forced to, and you are also not forced to collaborate outside
the environment where the game is going to exist.

On 10/24/06, Jeremy Kemp <jkemp at cemail.sjsu.edu> wrote:

> FYI:
>
> Corey Bridges with Multiverse outlined their beta process at the Austin
> Games Conference, 9/14/06. Listen to a great panel about the future of the
> metaverse by Jerry Paffendorf podcast here: http://www.secondcast.com/?p=8
>
> Corey Bridges says open beta is soon.
>
> Bridges has a full session on Metaverse Sessions #6 -
> http://www.secondcast.com/?p=14
>
> --Jeremy

'We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop
playing' Oliver Wendell Holmes
Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD Research Assistant Professor Idaho State
University, PocatelloTel: 208-282-5333