[SLED] introduction

Jonathon Richter jrichter at uoregon.edu
Mon Oct 23 13:21:26 PDT 2006

Hi Sadie, er Risa!

I was a candidate for a tenure track job in EdTech there at NAU a few years
back -- very nice place to be it seems. Best of luck getting on there!

The social construction of reality in SL is a VERY interesting topic - one
that we share. I'm interested in how the avatar can become a projection of
the learner and the inventory a portfolio of work that the student can use
to demonstrate competencies in various areas (standards, etc.).

Welcome to the SLED!

~ Jonathon Richter

On 10/23/06, Risa Garelick <risagarelick at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Wow...I love that this list serve is so active...though it did take me
> hours
> and hours to get through all of the emails! I have been reading here and
> there for a week...and have a good feel for what is going on here...
>
> I am an instructor of Sociology at 3 Northern Arizona institutions-hoping
> for full time at anyone them. Really, wishing for full time anywhere
> (aaahhhhh, the life of an adjunct.) I have been teaching in the classroom
> and online for about 8 years and am very interested in incorporating sl
> into
> my online instruction.
>
> I am interested in sl for many reasons (so it seems many of us are.) One,
> am in the process of designing a research project on (broadly based) the
> social construction of self. I will be doing qualitative interviews (in sl
> through my avatar) and will additionally include a quantitative approach
> (statistical) to analyze some information...just in the process of
> narrowing
> things down a bit. I am certainly in the early stages and would love some
> feedback and suggestions.
>
> Secondly, I am interested in teaching workshops or classes in
> sl...possibly
> sociology, criminal justice or conflict mediation. Whatever the need or
> interest...I am thinking conflict mediation.
>
> Third, to see what amazing things that all of you are doing. Honestly, it
> is
> very exciting and groundbreaking in the academic field.
>
> And lastly, I have been playing around in second life for fun...and wow,
> from a sociological perspective...it is just fascinating!
>
> So, I am thrilled to be a part of this list serve and really look forward
> future discussions and postings.
>

> Have a great day,
>
> Risa
>
> Known in SL as: Sadie Liebknecht
>

> Risa L. Garelick M.A.
> Adjunct Faculty
> Sociology and Social Work
>
> Northern Arizona University
> Coconino Community College
> Yavapai Community College
>
> 928-527-1222 extension 5535

********************************
Jonathon Richter
Research Associate
Center for Electronic Studying
1244 Walnut Drive, Suite 205A
Eugene, OR 97403 - 2056

"The architecture of our future is not only unfinished; the scaffolding has
hardly gone up. "  ~ George Lamming

"All successful people men and women are big dreamers. They imagine what
their future could be, ideal in every respect, and then they work every day
toward their distant vision, that goal or purpose."  ~ Brian Tracy