[SLED] Copyright Question

Emin Saglamer es26 at txstate.edu
Fri Oct 20 06:46:16 PDT 2006

Under the Teach Act, in most cases you CAN get away using copyrighted
materials under the following conditions:
1-the media is available in a short pocket of time ‹ comparable to a
classroom session ‹ say a couple of hours on a particular day.
2-the media is streaming and can not be cached and/or saved on the client
side.

But beyond these two variables, it is always a good idea to contact the
copyright holder and get their approval and/or terms.

My personal belief is that these rules sounds good and apply for Second
Life, however one exception is ripping complete DVDs, ripping movies and
other content covered by the RIAA and MPAA. As in don¹t rip Beyonce¹s latest
horrible album and put it on your course site in SL ‹ it will get you into
trouble, don¹t rip Sister Act II and stream it to your SL site.

In fact, don¹t rip anything off of a DVD period. Only bad things come of it.

I hope that helps,

ES