[SLED] SL is all about money

Gary Hayes mail at garyhayes.tv
Mon Oct 16 00:51:36 PDT 2006

Yes another article (a very long weekend edition) here in Oz that
talks about virtual worlds, especially Second Life, as all about
money, sad geeks without a first life, obsession, sex and dubious
identity. Why does every paragraph have to justify these worlds by
referring to 'how much', 'it is ok because you can make money', 'it
is a surprise that you can make money' etc etc:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/games/the-geek-australian-dream/
2006/10/16/1160850846458.html?page=7

The last two paragraphs sum up how far the article gets

"Janice Storey, who works as a clerical assistant at the NSW
Department of Education, says her son David (Deathifier) has always
been into games, and good with computers. "When he was five we bought
him an Atari and then, before he was eight, we had to buy him the
expander unit because he was programming his own games." For years
his parents have tried to set limits on how much time David spends
playing games, but now that he's an adult, Janice says, he has to
make those decisions himself. "We take pains to get him out of there,
but I reckon if we went away for three weeks he'd only leave the
computer room to eat or sleep."

Does she worry about him? "A little bit, but he's very happy doing
what he's doing. He has to make his own decisions now." Janice says
that she and her husband are proud of what their son has achieved in
Entropia Universe and with his studies - even if it is a little
unusual. "All his aunts and uncles and grandparents keep saying that
he should get a real job, a proper job," she adds. "But what is a
real job? Who can tell these days ... maybe that is a real job of the
future."

Gary
GARY HAYES
TITLE Director - Laboratory for Advanced Media Production (LAMP)
WEB www.lamp.edu.au
EMAIL Gary.Hayes at aftrs.edu.au
LANDLINE DAY +61 (2) 9805 6544
AUSTRALIA MOBILE +61 0404 797 104
ADDRESS: Australian Film TV and Radio School PO Box 126, Sydney 1670,
Australia
AFTRS values Creativity, Courage, Diversity, Respect

PERSONAL
EMAIL  mail at garyhayes.tv, gary at korkyt.net
gary at cubrisound.com, gary at personalizemedia.com
HOME TEL AUSTRALIA +61 (2) 9868 7891