[SLED] schome - Introducing PeterT

DI vonBriesen DI.vonBriesen at cpcc.edu
Tue Oct 10 05:40:27 PDT 2006

Peter-
sounds very interesting. I have 5 kids, 4-12, and they are in senegal for a year so that, in my words "they can see how the other half lives" (which is actually more like 2/3rds). While they excel in public school here, and there are many great advantages to the schools (bus rides, peace and quiet in the house for the day, nice new schools and lots of resources we dont have at home, like gyms, band instruments, etc..) - i am very concerned about the teen years - and from my experience (i'm under 40) junior high and high school are 75% nothing but nonsense.

 Social interaction is not nonsense, but social interaction of 1000 people within one year of each other in age, and all from a very similar demographic, IS nonsense. Never in history was everyone of the same age thrown together (ok, i base this on feeling, not any historical knowledge- but let me know if i'm wrong) - in such environments they neither benefit those younger than them, nor learn from those older than them- they simply pass around the feedback loop and so (IMNSHO) their brains end up much like a suburban US intersection (gas station, drug store, strip mall, and vacant lot).

So something that would merge the two (home and school), taking the benefits of each with the benefits of technology sounds great.

I trust you'll let us know as soon as you have your island going. I'd love to get my kids involved- though we need sub-teen too!

d.i.