[SLED] Grey Goo, Scripts Disabled, etc.

Gavin Dudeney gavin.dudeney at theconsultants-e.com
Mon Oct 9 06:22:41 PDT 2006

Eloise,

Thanks - interesting information on how to get round the creator issue. And
I take your point about the 'spoofing' of owners and being given something
by someone who is not to blame. And yes, I read the story about the 60
supposed griefers. But as you point out, all the efforts so far (hardware
hash, IP, etc.) have been singularly ineffective in getting griefers out of
SL. And of course, when you can go to a new Internet Cafe every day, or
carry your SL on a data stick using something like Mojo then you're very
unlikely to get caught.

So we know the issues, and LL knows the issues too - what we need now is
some kind of security and a more robust approach to our investment and our
IP in-world. I'm not overly experienced with other MUVEs, but do they all
suffer like SL does - is There down four or five times a week (no, not
advocating we all move...) - and if not, is it only the flexible scripting
in SL that is involved, or is it more 'rotten at the core' than it should
be?

I think I'd just like to understand a little better what I'm dealing with,
and where my money is being spent - then I may be in a position to ride out
the storm or I will down my limited creative tools, write it off as a fun
project over the summer, and devote my limited time to things which will
work, and which will not leave me with egg on my face repeatedly and often.

It all comes down to information - we need to know what's going on, and if
it's likely to end.

Gavin

Gavin Dudeney - Project Director
The Consultants-E, SL