[SLED] Mac Master's Professor take on SecondLife

Bill Freese iedbf at montana.edu
Fri Oct 6 11:08:25 PDT 2006

Howdy,
What kind of studies have been done on what influences the ability of
people to cross the boundary? I am fascinated by the question of the
threshold of the suspension of disbelief. Some of us know for a fact
that after spending hours in Second Life, we really feel as though we
have been somewhere else. Last weekend, I walked in a garden with my
sister; I attended an educators workshop Wednesday; I had a chat with
a fellow educator in her home yesterday. I was totally there each
time even though each of these events was in SL.

But there are people I have tried to introduce to SL for whom it
really is "like a Fisher Price-level" toy.  They look at it instead
of being in it. They do not seem to be able or willing to mentally
cross the threshold into the virtual space. Those of us who do must
be understanding of those who can't and tolerant of those who won't.
At the same time, we must keep working to make the unreal more real
if we want others to be able to follow us there. We can say to
professor Hamilton, "Wait. It will get more real as the technology
improves." But just as some people can lose themselves in a novel and
some can't, I suspect that some people will never really enter a
virtual world.

Bill Freese / Friis