[SLED] RE: Crime and Griefing in Second Life

Trevena, Stan Trevena.S at monet.k12.ca.us
Sat Nov 25 17:16:08 PST 2006

If you look through their website, and stories published about them, they made a statement of their cause back in August.  They want ownership in Second Life, asking for each member to be offered to buy one share in the ownership of the world.  Not a lot of info beyond that, other than their offers to pay for recordings of attacks on stated targets.  I only just stumbled on a story about them on Digg today, never heard of them before now.  I find it interesting that they are attacking Linden Labs and the commercial businesses moving into Second Life.  Kind of like the body attacking the heart because it doesn't like the way it supplies blood.  If they are too effective with their attacks, they kill the world they are supposedly fighting to preserve.

This is another example of people using the same tactics as the griefers "for a cause".  Like I quoted in an article from a few years back on The Sims Online, if there is no action to control this type of behavior, all will start to adopt it to fight back.  The end result is even more chaos in-world, and more grief for residents who are going about their own business.  How cool will it be to have your class in-world doing their activities, and the server comes crashing down because someone is attacking a "strategic" target to make a point?  It took two hours the other night for them to remove the goo attack from the databases.

"For about two hours, the virtual landscape of Second Life filled with golden rings and the distinctive two-tone ding of Sega's popular Sonic the Hedgehog games. The rings' listed creator was the fictional "Dr. Robotnik," a character from the Sonic games. However, the deluge of rings was not some form of cross promotion, but a viral attack of self-replicating objects, known less than affectionately as "grey goo."
 . . . . Within 15 minutes, Linden Lab detected the outbreak and cleaned out the servers, although it took about two hours to get everything back to semblance of normal, according to a timeline in the forum posts. The response--the fastest yet, in Lioncourt's experience--showed that the company has started to gain experience in combating such attacks." - http://www.cleancomputerhelp.com/viruses-go-virtual <http://www.cleancomputerhelp.com/viruses-go-virtual>

Trust me, we are only just seeing the front edge of a Tsunami of this stuff that is about to wash over Second Life.

Stan Trevena