[SLED] powerpoint questions

rodney collins murray_mcardle at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 10:27:23 PST 2006

Vidya,

First, v cool RL name and av name!  TY for the link to your latest blog notes on mentorship in the virtual environment.  I have to agree with you that my own education in SL was not about notes and documents.  I was more likely to ask questions of an av on the edge of the telehub, than the official sounding "mentor" standing in the middle.  I learned everything from my new friends.  That's one way to make friends.  I have recommended many to Teasers or the Tower to take the noob courses, but then again, I didn't go, except to learn the more advanced building skills.  Love Teasers University, btw.  As a current landlord, I become the de facto mentor to many noobs and shop keeps.  New ppl, such as students, will learn on the just in time basis since there are so many ppl to ask at any point in time.  Now that I know this about how students learn, how does that affect how I do a lesson plan?  It makes education a little less formal. I think I'll just throw out problems and
 assignments so that have to figure new ways to make things work and ask questions. The immersion IS the classroom!  At least that is how I am approaching my biz in SL course.  Yes, there will still be slides and weblinks and classrooms.  However, hands on is easy for me, since the economy and design of content itself is the medium I wish teach, while the life lesson goals are more esoteric.  Students can ask me questions and they can learn from other SL citizens, just as you say they do.  What a wonderful world to learn in, isn't it?

Sincerely,
Murray McArdle,
Diamond City Owner and Notorious! Design Retail on Irrelevant Isle
and
Gerald D Hines College of Architecture University of Houston Virtual Adjunct Faculty

aka in RL
Rodney M Collins, Texas Architect
www.collinsarchitects.com