[SLED] Streaming video server

Giulio Prisco gp at uvvy.com
Fri Nov 10 21:04:38 PST 2006

Hi Mechthild,
Not much programming involved - Darwin is open source software, quite
robust and easy to install. Installing and testing it takes one hour
or less.
It works with static files loaded on the server - note that you should
process them for streaming with QuickTime pro or equivalent software.
It also works with realtime streams sent by QuickTime Broadcaster -
for a live event, you record and stream to the server with QTB, and
the server reflects the stream to the viewers.
You should have one technician familiar with the system available on
call when you use the server.
Of course the server where you install Darwin should have a good CPU
and sufficient bandwidth. Think 300kbps per user for high quality,
100kbps per user for low quality.
G.