Avatar names / voice chat

Aline Click N10ARC1 at wpo.cso.niu.edu
Fri Mar 31 06:59:36 PST 2006

I just find it funny that several months after I signed on my RL last
name all of a sudden was in the list. "Click" isn't that common. So now
to see names like David Click (which is my son's name) in game is odd. I
also saw this happen with several other names of my team members. Are
real last names where you get your inspiration for the list?

Aline Click
aka, Ali Andrews

>>> robin at lindenlab.com 03/30/06 8:42 PM >>>
I can't resist, but have to weigh in on the naming issue.

When we created SL, it was with the idea that people would create a
new identity for themselves.  We were thinking about online community

and the context was MUDS, games and online chat where the norm was
anonymity and often, role-playing.  We were much more focused on
thinking about how to make it easier for anonymous residents to meet
other anonymous residents (hence the common last names) than on the
possibility of extending real life roles into SL.

Obviously things have changed significantly since then, and we all
appreciate the learning potential of SL.  Along with that, we've seen

a significant increase in requests for choosing names, both real
names and custom last names, and we're working on a project that
should make that possible.  There will be a fee associated with the
option, but if you would prefer to forego anonymity and use your real

name, you will be able to do that.  The timing is most likely months
away, but hopefully before the next school year begins.

Cheers,
Robin

On Mar 30, 2006, at 10:09 AM, Jeremy Kemp wrote:

> I agree wholeheartedly that being able to CHOOSE a real or SL name
> is very important for earning credibility in demos. It's already an

> uncomfortable strain constantly assuring bosses and clients that
> this is not a Dungeons and Dragon's style role-playing game (one
> with a predetermined narrative). So, if the system doesn't have a

> set narrative, why are users forced into a set role-play persona?
>

> As for the voice thread, I think it definitely adds a great deal of

> emotional depth. And it speeds up collaborative building while
> allowing for hands-free communication. But in a group of users, if
> just ONE player doesn't have access, then the voice server is
> barely useful. It's kind of like an inverse network effect. Each
> user without the chat tool makes the group substantially less
> effective. Kind of like doing a group project where half the
> attendees are deaf. You can't have a fast conversation in voice
> while half are limited to keyboard. So it is really an all or none
> tool, I think.
>

> --Jeremy

So