Not accessible... But ours

Jeremy Kemp jkemp at cemail.sjsu.edu
Wed Mar 15 16:44:04 PST 2006

Hello Eloise,

"SL gives you accessibility"?! This is a substantial issue for SL as a
learning tool -- it is quite inaccessible, don't you think?

I'm no Luddite, but getting the app loaded and running - and continuing to
run - was a daunting task for me, requiring:

o) an update to high-end video card
o) a sizable weekly revision download
o) a two-handed, multi-functionkey interface
o) curbing firewalls who bark at non-Web packets
o) learning the concept of a "prim" and a "script"
o) finding someone to help me do production
o) auto returns that bust up my constructions

So accessibility is the WORST part of the whole experience from my
perspective.

But I'm hooked as an instructional developer BECAUSE...

This is a "Web 2.0" app where the content bubbles up from the users and not
down from the company. That's key for building a viable 3D learning tool -
we're not stuck in a narrative.

Web 1.0  	   	-->	Web 2.0
DoubleClick 		--> 	Google AdSense
Ofoto 			--> 	Flickr
mp3.com 		--> 	Napster
Britannica Online 	--> 	Wikipedia
personal websites 	--> 	blogging
publishing 		--> 	participation
directories (taxonomy)	--> 	tagging ("folksonomy")
Unreal/WOW/Everquest	--> 	Second Life

See:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.h
tml