[SLED] SL - losing my students and audience

Tim Allen Tim at CROMPCO.com
Wed Aug 9 17:21:55 PDT 2006

I heard LL was thinking weekly was too much - I believe Robin said so. Any
details on that? And can we skip one next week before SLCC? Last thing we
need is downtime Friday when LL is drinking! :-)

--------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: Pathfinder Linden <pathfinder at lindenlab.com>
To: Educators interested in using Second Life as a teaching platform.
<educators at lists.secondlife.com>
Sent: Wed Aug 09 20:17:14 2006
Subject: Re: [SLED] SL - losing my students and audience

Howdy folks,

We're very sorry about the extended downtime today.  The latest update
introduced a bug that has required us to keep the grid offline for
much longer than we planned (please see
http://forums.secondlife.com/showthread.php?t=128569).

We do all we can to minimize downtime, and restrict planned downtime
to Wednesdays.  Second Life is definitely out of "beta" phase, but
since it is a constantly evolving complex platform, it requires
regular updates so we can keep fixing bugs and improving features.

In general, I would recommend on planning for the "unexpected" on
Wednesdays, and scheduling critical inworld events for any day *other*
than Wednesdays.

Take care,
-Pathfinder

On 8/9/06, Gary Hayes <mail at garyhayes.tv> wrote:

> I was willing to give Linden Labs the leeway to keep improving SL and
tried
> to work around the regular weekly upgrades but recently I am finding that
it
> has started to become unworkable and it is starting to lose its
credibility
> in our establishment because it is appearing unreliable.
>
> The IT departments are already un-willing to support something that
updates
> so regularly and recently the disabling of 'groups' has meant that  I am
> finding it hard to manage work process and permissions. There have also
been
> a series of demos planned to the purse strings folk and suddenly ten
minutes
> before 'show time' some major function has been disabled or in one case
the
> exploit shutdown cut the demo short...so frustrating, and eventually bad
> news for serious edu use of SL.
>
> This morning I scheduled in a session to do a collaborative build after
the
> normal 5 hour updates (which in Oz is 12-5am) and we found we were all
still
> locked out at 9am! - bizarre when we have paid and are paying for a
private
> sim?
>
> I believe there is a limit to how much some edus will put up with this
kind
> of iterative 'beta' testing in a commercial environment.
>
> Thoughts and are there solutions?

> GARY HAYES
> TITLE Director - Laboratory for Advanced Media Production (LAMP)
> WEB www.lamp.edu.au
> EMAIL Gary.Hayes at aftrs.edu.au
> LANDLINE DAY +61 (2) 9805 6544
> AUSTRALIA MOBILE +61 0404 797 104
> ADDRESS: Australian Film TV and Radio School PO Box 126, Sydney 1670,
> Australia
> AFTRS values Creativity, Courage, Diversity, Respect
>
> PERSONAL
> EMAIL  mail at garyhayes.tv, gary at korkyt.net
> gary at cubrisound.com, gary at personalizemedia.com
> HOME TEL AUSTRALIA +61 (2) 9868 7891
> SKYPE cubrig31
> BLOG www.personalizemedia.com
> WEB www.garyhayes.tv
> USA CELL +1 310 259 5763
> UK MOBILE +44 0795 813 8632

John Lester
Community and Education Manager, Linden Lab
http://pathfinderlinden.com

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
-Miguel de Cervantes