[SLED] Re: Blind people in SL - Idle speculation

Jeff Hiles jeffrey.hiles at wright.edu
Wed Aug 2 14:36:46 PDT 2006

Mike, I like your thinking--that people who can't see would be able to
navigate SL on their own, by sound perhaps. Or that there would be built-in
aids for people with low vision. Very progressive ideas.

Unfortunately, as it is, Second Life is about as far as you can get from
accommodating people with visual disabilities. And that's why I was
particularly interested in hearing how someone was making that
accommodation, assuming the story is true.

As Danielle said, right now you would have to pair a blind student with
another student or with an assistant who could navigate, read, and describe
what's on the screen. That's not unique to people with visual disabilities,
though. I think some of the folks with cerebral palsy who use Second Life
have helpers type for them.

The visually impaired could participate more directly, though, if the SL
client was accessible to screen readers. I know blind people who have
embraced instant messaging with clients that work with JAWS. So, in theory,
it would be possible for people who can't see to carry on their own text
conversations in Second Life. That degree of independence, I think, would
make the experience more immediate and immersive.

However, the Second Life client doesn't currently give screen reader access
to chat or IM text. In fact, you can't even read the menus with JAWS. If the
client did have that most basic accessibility--chat, IM and menus--blind
users would still need some assistance getting around. So, I guess I can't
be too down on the Lindens about it.

Still, as Ellie said, it's "a really big issue that will not be pushed to
the back seat" when we have Section 508 to abide by in the U.S. and the UK
and Australia have similar standards. The important thing is to have that
contingency worked out before you have a blind student enrolled in your
class.

Jeff/Farley