Technical Questions about SL for Education

Mark D. Wagner markdwagner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 16:05:10 PDT 2005

Thank you to everyone that responded to my initial  question. This
listserv is clearly going to be a great resource for all of us.

Here are some questions I have not been able to answer for our Grant
committee. We are considering Second Life as a platform for game-
based informal science education... we've considered simple "card"
based games and scenarios more like what Chris Dede is doing with
MUVEEs at http://www.gse.harvard.edu/~dedech/muvees/index.htm - and
we have considered focusing on particular grades, but if we use SL,
these would be high school aged students, and high school level
science content. I expect many more questions will come up, but this
is a good place to start.

- I know there are ways to view web content in SL... could something
like Vantage Learning's MyAccess writing assessment program by used
in SL? What about flash or shockwave content?
- I know that games have been created in SL... but wonder how much
control could we have over a reward structure in SL? Could we build
in points or levels?
- I know that gravity is represented in SL, although we can fly...
but to what extent might we be able to model other forces that might
be useful for teaching science? (This is of course our main
question... consider modeling acceleration, or aerodynamics, or
polluted water... would these things be possible?)

- If we used a private island, could students move from the island to
the Teen grid and back? Could we restrict an accounts to only the
private island? (Despite the fact that we might be able to control
content on the island, there are those on the committee who are
worried about what else students might do with the accounts we
arrange for them.)
- Also (for similar reasons) would there be ways to limit students'
abilities to create on the island? (I think I know the answer to
this, but it makes me cringe to ask it in any case.)
- With a private island, would it be possible to include younger
students?

- FInally, is it reasonable to expect that some teachers (and maybe
even some students) might become content producers for this project?
Would they be able to do the things asked above?

I apologize for the rough nature of these questions. Perhaps the best
case scenario is that there are others on the list who might benefit
from the answers. Also, if we decide to move forward I'm sure the
questions will get more specific, and it seems we may indeed have a
need for an SL scripting consultant. :)

-Mark