Educators Island??

Anthony Crider acrider at elon.edu
Tue Nov 8 11:52:08 PST 2005

We have had a lot of discussion about our philosophies about
education in SL. A few those come from people that have actually
conducted courses inworld!  I'm sure that 12 months from now, many
more of us will have experiences that might make some of our current
philosophies look a bit short-sighted.  (This happens to me all the
time when I reread my own "teaching statements" from years past.)

Before the fantasy "Education Island" can ever become a reality,
there are a few concrete numbers needed.  To that end, let me pose
the following:

Imagine that someone has purchased and is leasing space on "Education
Island-Main Grid" and "Education Island-Teen Grid."  Assume that each
already has one or two generic lecture halls (30-40 seats) for public
use, should your class require it (see M. Conklin's earlier e-mail
for why you probably won't).  For now, assume that the default look-
and-feel is similar to the site Pathfinder already has set up in
Waterhead, akin to 470 BC, a time when much of the world looked like
the cover of the Led Zepplin album, "Houses of the Holy". There would
be many steps and columns; it would be most tranquil.

(1) Would you need space on the Main Grid island, the Teen Grid
island, or both?

(2) How much space in SQM would you need for your learning module?

(3) How many students would you have visit at a time?

(4) How frequently would they be inworld?

(5) How soon could your students begin using the campus?

(6) Would students need to build on your site?

(7) Could your learning module be relatively contained/low profile
enough so as to not intrude on neighboring projects (e.g. The
excellent spaceflight museum currently under development in Nessus
(84, 216) has a full-scale Saturn V rocket, which might be obtrusive
to neighboring modules.)

If you e-mail me directly, I can compile the results and publish them
to the group, maybe before the next meeting.  Or, reply to the group
if you feel so compelled.

Cheers,
Chaac Amarula
The Second Life Planetarium