Campus: Traditional buildings, non-traditional buildings, no buildings?

Eloise Pasteur eloisepasteur at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 5 03:03:07 PST 2005

Ramesh, can I ask if you're streaming the audio and video from the
same machine/connection as you are using for SL? I've once or twice
streamed audio that way, and it sucks. SL hogs almost all of my (not
inconsiderable but still domestic) bandwidth, and streaming from here
tries to do the same, especially up bandwidth which is much tighter
on my connection. I have, however streamed from other sources (audio
and video) and although there's a little hit (there's extra detail
after all), it's not too heavy.

You also need to consider the quality of materials you need - where's
the cut off for resolution on that streaming video (which is always
going to be more of a hit than streaming audio). When such things
were new I streamed a friend's (beautiful) high rez video of a dancer
performing. It crippled both our machines, but we were sitting still
watching, so that was OK. I can, and have, streamed flash videos
(silly or otherwise) which has much lower bandwidth and doesn't
produce an appreciable hit at all. Finding the balance between those
two extremes might make it all quite usable.

Eloise.