Campus: Traditional buildings, non-traditional buildings, no buildings?

Ian Shanahan ian at alwaysblack.com
Fri Nov 4 11:57:36 PST 2005

I agree with that, but we have to figure out particular purposes before
we can figure out a configuration that suits the purpose.

The theatre at our _blacklibrary uses the old 'skybox' method, an idea
stolen from game engines, to re-texture the walls, floor, ceiling etc
with 'sets' or 3D backdrops to suit the programme being shown. This came
about after first creating a regular theatre screen and then thinking,
'Hey, what if...'

So if the answer to the question "What can I have?" is "What do you
want?" and then the answer to that is "What can I have?" again, then
maybe we need to look at the question of buildings in the context of
specific projects.

The _blacklibrary also has a social area that was originally intended to
be an analogy of the forum on the website that it sprang from, it's
styled as a bar but I often muse about certain facilities that it lacks
that other computer-based discussion methods have. There's no obvious
'notice board' functionality,  for example, for communicating with
members that are separated by time zones etc.